Wednesday 7 March 2012

Close encounter with giraffes

Today, I am not going to tell you which zoo I went to visit because I feel like I have said it too many times already! :-)
We were very lucky that day we went to the zoo as, not only we managed to get very close to lions, but we arrived at the giraffes' enclosure just as the keepers were bringing them food. They had a truck full of leafy branches that they tied to a pole, high up in the air. For once, the giraffes did not have to bend down to reach for their food, they could enjoy their meal at head level. It did not take them long to eat all the leaves but I had enough time to get some nice pictures. You can see the calf quite well in the last picture. 
I never realised until then that giraffes have a highly dexterous, bluish-black tongue. They use it to eat the foliage, curling the tongue around the leaves to grab them. I hope you enjoy the pictures. You know that you can click on the pictures to enlarge them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts