Saturday 14 December 2013

Myxomatosis in young wild rabbits

We saw a litter of 5 very cute wild rabbits being decimated by myxomatosis. Within one month of them being old enough to leave the nest, their eyes started to swell and the rabbits eventually lost their sight. All we could do was watch... We found a couple of dead bodies in the garden the other three just disappeared. None of the five reached adulthood. The video clip below shows how the illness progressed. Don't look if you think you might not like it.







1 comment:

  1. This is utterly sad. I'm seeing the same thing starting with a rabbit in my garden and there's nothing I can do. If I later catch it to take to the vets I fear I will cause it greater distress than if I left it to die naturally. I really don't know what's best. I'll decide when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts